Saturday, June 9, 2012

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY 
2012


If you are really lucky you grow up with a great dad.  My siblings and I sure did.

Dad was simple, mellow, generous, creative and motivated to reach his goals.  He was active in Church, successful in business, and a success at raising us kids.

He was part of "The Great Generation", having lived through the Depression (which accounts for his thriftiness) and World War II.

Born in Provo, Utah, he lived most of his life in Los Angeles and Orange County.  Like me, he loved cars.  Here he is with a few of his early cars.




I was very happy with my dad, but growing up in the 1960s, all the best T.V. dads were on all the channels.  Here are a few of my favorites from that golden era...

Jim Anderson from "Father Knows Best"

Steven Douglas from "My Three Sons"

Ward Cleaver from "Leave It To Beaver"

 Lucas McCain from "The Rifleman"

Andy Taylor from "The Andy Griffith Show"
(Often Voted 'Best T.V. Dad')

Ben Cartwright from "Bonanza"

 Martin Lane from "The Patty Duke Show"

 Darren Stevens from "Bewitched"

Not all T.V. dads were traditional, either.  Two of my all time favorite dads were odd but extremely memorable...

 
Gomez Addams from "The Addams Family"
  
And my all time favorite...

 
Herman Munster from "The Munsters"
   
Here is one of the most beloved T.V. fathers in the 1970s... 

 
Howard Cunningham from "Happy Days" 

With some exceptions, T.V. dads became less traditional as the decades past...


 Earl Sinclair from "Dinosaurs"

Homer Simpson from "The Simpsons"

 Frank Costanza from "Seinfeld"

Hank Hill from "King Of The Hill"

 In the past few years I have added a few new T.V. dads to my favorites list...

  Seeley Booth from "Bones"

 Phil Dunphy from "Modern Family"

Richard Castle from "Castle"


 There are many favorite Film Fathers to choose from.  Here is a sampling of some of my favorites:

Harry McAfee from "Bye Bye Birdie"

 
Stanley T. Banks from "Father of the Bride"


Tevye from "Fiddler On the Roof"


Captain Georg Von Trapp from "The Sound of Music"


Last, but hardly least...

Clarence Day, Sr. from "Life with Father"



I look forward to future T.V. and Film dads I can learn to likeSo, this Father's Day, all kids should send their dads a card, at least, even if Dad isn't the nicest guy...






Happy Father's Day, Dad!

 

 

 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment