Friday, July 13, 2012

ROYGBIV



Far out, man!  I'm back in 1979.  Everyone had rainbow decals centered on the back windows of their cars or vans, and Kermit the Frog sang that summer's popular song "Rainbow Connection" from "The Muppet Movie".


1979 also brought the musical "Evita" from London. In the show Eva Peron sings "Rainbow High" proclaims  her plans to dazzle the people on a world tour.

Chuck Mangione's song "Feels So Good" was still popular from the summer before.  The attitude was clear skies and rainbows (Disco, too, but let's not go there right now).

According to Wikipedia "a rainbow spans a continuous spectrum of colors; the distinct bands are an artifact of human color vision."...blah, blah blah.  I just think that rainbows are awesome!

In High School science class we studied, and were tested on, the visible light spectrum. The seven colors constituting the spectrum are: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo and Violet.


 There is a simple trick to help remember these colors; substitute the names of each color in the spectrum with just the first letter of each one.  The acronym becomes:

R  O  Y - G - B  I  V

 

On test day I forgot what the "I" stood for, so I put down "Iris"...stupid, right?  Since then, I have never forgotten the seven names.  I love colors, and I get a kick when the seven colors of the rainbow are represented by images other than rainbows.
Don't get me wrong...I like rainbows as much as anyone.  It's just that I'm not a unicorns-sliding-down-rainbows kind of guy; that is unless the unicorns find a severed head at the bottom!















WARNING - TEACHING MOMENT AHEAD!

Before I show off my rainbow-colored collection I want to clear up a common misconception.  The following image is technically not a rainbow, but features six of the seven colors...

This flag is the third and current version of the Gay Pride flag designed in 1978 by Gilbert Baker.  It was designed to serve as a symbol of the gay community.  

I know some people are upset because the "gays" kidnapped the innocent symbol of the rainbow and made it their banner.  This isn't true, but when you think about it...is there a more fabulous flag better suited for their community?


All right, now let's on with the spectrum stuff:



               
 








 


 






 



















 



  
 




  








 













 
 







 
                            











 
  


  










 











  









 





  
























































 Yes...our friend
 
 is truly
 Coloricious!!




No comments:

Post a Comment